Participating in our Au Pair USA programme is a unique experience and one which has the potential to have a huge impact on your life and career. It’s important to know what your life will be like before you make your decision to apply.
- You will be required to provide up to 45 hours per week of child care.
- You will be asked to prepare meals, get children ready for school and organise their laundry
- You may be asked to perform light chores
- You are not a cleaner or cook however – you will not be asked to clean the whole house, or to cook for the whole family (unless you want to)
- You will be given your own private room on a full-board basis
- You will need to keep your own room clean and tidy
- Your host family will support you and treat you as one of their own. They will be interested in your background, culture and traditions, and will put their faith in you
- You will be paid a minimum weekly wage of $195.75 (Your accommodation and meals are paid for)
- You will be on a J-1 Exchange Visa and must complete six credit hours at an educational institution. Your family will provide up to €500 to help pay for this
- The majority of families will require you to be able to drive, and have at least a year of experience
For more about the responsibilities, rights and role of an Au Pair, check out our Au Pair Information page where you’ll also find details of the easy application procedure.
If you’d like to know more about living as an Au Pair in America, have a browse of the FAQs or just send us a message and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.